Friday 3 April 2015

Reflection 3, Week 4



This week we have reviewed multimedia tools: images, audio (podcasting) and video.

I felt on slightly more stable ground this week, because as an ESL teacher in Japan for the better part of a decade, I produced a monthly podcast and newsletter for my class of grade 10 students and helped my grade 12 students each year to learn about the use of passive voice in English by creating their own nightly newscast. I’ve even got my own workaround for resizing images (you can do it in Microsoft Publisher).

So I thought I’d have a handle on things. Until I discovered that in the ensuing 6 years since I left ESL teaching, MovieMaker has been completely overhauled and is basically a totally different product, the copies of Ulead VideoStudio and MovieTheatre (a Japanese program) that I own are for Vista and don’t work with Windows 7 and the NCH software that I used for recording and editing audio also needed upgrading. My first lesson was right there: we will have to constantly be updating our ICT repertoire if we are to stay on top of what’s available and stay relevant to our students and their learning!



It took me quite a few hours, but I now have updated versions and I’m on my way to becoming proficient in their use again.

I have quite a lot of experience with podcast creation for language learning, so I thought I’d try something new. I decided to make a video for use in the science classroom. As it happens, I was taking a trip to Uluru with my husband, and it was the perfect chance to get a bit of work done while I was there. I planned an elaborate video explaining the formation of Uluru and Kata Tjuta (The Olgas), in line with the Grade 8 science curriculum about rock formation. It took me hours just to plan it. After that, I sat down to read this week’s materials and discovered that I was totally off base:

People are not just viewing and engaging with the Web but using and producing their own versions of texts and/or participating in the texts of others. They are designing, creating and authoring their own work on the web in various ways. This is the digital environment that students of today are able to access and participate in.
(Walsh, 2009)

After reading this, I realised that the key would be not to just present information via video but to have the students create a video that demonstrated their understanding of the material. And after all the talk of how real-world problems are vital in the classroom, I developed a new plan.

My Video

I produced a short video intended as the introduction of an assignment task for students – as a substitute for the standard rubric. My plan was to use the video as a hook, to provide the assessment task and hints as to how to go about it. Then the students would go away to research the real-world problem in groups and produce their own video to present their findings.

Here is what I came up with:
Uluru: World’s Largest Monolith?



In making this video and planning how I would use it in a unit of work, I feel that I have a much better understanding of the benefits and possible pitfalls of using video with students. I have listed these in the SWOT analysis below.



Scaffolding the Use of Video
Making a video myself helped me to see what kind of guidance students would need to tackle such a complex project successfully. This type of assessment involves complex, higher order thinking skills such as planning, collaboration and a range of different skills from recording and editing video to making music, presenting narration or making scientific models. It might be quite daunting for students to be given such a large project to work on. A clear timetable with due dates for each step might be required to keep students on track. And for all students to have a chance to contribute and attain success, scaffolding would be vital. Below is a diagram explaining the type of scaffolding that could be used for these lessons.




Video and the SAMR Model
Finally, as an example of how video could be used at each of the levels of the SAMR model, I investigated my own lesson plan design.
Here is a summary of the different ways video could be used in my Uluru lesson to achieve enhancement and then transformation:


        
I generally find it easy to consider ways for using ICTs in the language classroom. Video and podcasts are the natural tools of a language learner, and I myself made use of some excellent Japanese podcasts when I was a university student. Video in particular can help students to really appreciate another language, culture, food or lifestyle. And podcasts are a very convenient way of improving listening skills when you’re sitting on a train or bus.

But it was a bit more challenging this week to consider how to use these tools in a science classroom. In general I feel that science at high school is often taught as a “memorise this list” kind of subject.



 I have occasionally seen some excellent examples of ICT use in science such as when I was a first year university student and our professor created his own program with interactive videos, quizzes, and links to help us study oxidative phosphorylation. That was quite some time ago, so we each had to bring our own blank CD and he burned us a copy. It’s eye-opening to realise how quickly ICTs have changed and to start to appreciate just what we can achieve for and with our students. This week, I think I managed to make a start on creating content and mapping ideas for how to use ICTs effectively in the science classroom. It’s also been a pleasure over the past three weeks to read the blogs of others who will be teaching and maths and science and to see what ideas they have for the use of ICTs. By the end of this course, I might have the start of a professional ICT library (and some software that will actually run on my Windows 7 laptop)!

 
 References
Walsh, M. 2009. Pedagogic Potentials of Multimodal Literacies. Chapter 3, p10. http://www.acu.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/195676/Chapter_3_Multimodal_Literacy_M_Walsh.pdf
Retrieved March 28, 2015.

CQU Moodle coursework Pedagogic Content Knowledge Week 3 Study Guide
Retrieved March 20, 2015

Retrieved March 14, 2015

Australian Copyright Council, 2012. Music: Use in Student Films & Videos
Retrieved April 1, 2015

Retrieved April 1, 2015

References for Video
Retrieved March 28, 2015

Retrieved April 2, 2015

Retrieved March 28, 2015

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic blog, I love the movie you made, it was a great hook to a topic. Your newspaper article is the best I've read and is spot on! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Jamie. Movie Maker has changed a bit, but it is still a great tool for creating videos, and you can't argue over the cost. Nice use of images to show your SAMR and SWOT models.

    Regards Katrina

    ReplyDelete