Thursday 9 April 2015

Reflection 4, Week 5



This week there were so many tools to cover. In Group 3, we had Prezi, Glogster and Powerpoint. In group 4, there were a host of options from Google Maps, Earth and Docs to ZooBurst, a 3D pop-up book maker.

I played around with quite a few (I’m quite the hit with my 4 year old daughter after I made her a story as a 3D pop-up book on the computer). I originally thought this tool was better suited to very young children, but I think it might be useful in a Japanese classroom too. It’s tough to get beginner learners interested. They are at the reading level of a small child in Japanese, but their interests do not run to picture books about hungry caterpillars anymore. However, they might be interested in writing their own little stories and animating them in Zooburst. They could share them and read each other’s to get more reading practice too. So I think there might be a place for Zooburst in my professional ICT library after all.




It’s still scary each week how these tools can suck time and energy from you. I think I will need to be very focused and task-oriented as I set up ICT libraries and resources for my two teaching areas (Japanese and biology, so not a lot of overlap there). Next week I’ll share the lesson plan I developed using the Group 4 tools and this week I’ll focus on Group 3.

On to Group 3 tools then:
In earlier weeks, we had been given a link to a glog that intrigued me.
This Glog seemed like a great way to keep all links, videos, images, audio etc about a topic in one place. It was also aesthetically pleasing, and that makes me happy.
It was designed using Glogster, so I decided to try my hand at Glogging.

Glogs, Blogs and Weeblies
Yet again, it was immediately apparent that Glogging was a time-consuming business. And as much as I liked the idea of having everything in one place, and the aesthetics that were achievable, I found myself questioning what a Glog did better than a blog, or a Weebly. Perhaps, I thought to myself, I’d be better off learning to use a few tools really well, rather than a great number of tools poorly.

I spent some time comparing the functions that each offers, and in the end I think that each of these tools has its place. I love that a Glog is so easy to customise, I can easily drop items and position them wherever I want. It looks great. But if you needed students to follow through work in a particular order, a glog might not be best. Also, I find that even in the heart of Sydney with broadband internet (probably as good as these things get in Australia), a glog loads quite slowly. Each item takes time to load and it’s frustrating.
But the one thing that has me sold on glogs is that if you have a teacher account, you are able to assign your students accounts off your main page. This means you can see what they are doing from your “teacher screen”. (Source: http://teacherchallenge.edublogs.org/go-get-glogged-with-glogster/  I think this is what makes a glog a tool that I would want to have in my bag of tricks, in addition to blogs, wikis and websites.

I’ve summarised some of these points, and compared glogs, blogs and websites in the table below.



My Glog
As I mentioned above, I think the biggest selling point of a glog is that it’s so very easy to get your class using it, and to be able to guide them as they work. Unfortunately, without a class to check this function on, I decided to start by creating my own glog that I could use in a classroom setting.

I created a fairly simple “interactive poster” designed to help students master telling the time in Japanese.

Here is a link to my glog:

I am really excited about the use of ICTs such as glogs, blogs and weeblies in teaching languages. There is an ongoing debate among teachers of Japanese as a foreign language. The scripts students need to master to be able to write Japanese are universally acknowledged as one of the most difficult written systems in the world. There are 3 different scripts required and they each have different uses. Some argue that we should begin teaching students these scripts from the very beginning, to give them the most amount of time possible to master such a difficult written language (Miura 1987). Others argue that we should teach them as Japanese children learn; that is, by learning to speak first and then by learning to write (Matsunaga 1995). The problem with this is that people learning a second language who are not babies and toddlers naturally find themselves wanting some way to take notes (visual representation) of what they are learning. For students of Japanese who cannot write in Japanese, this means making use of Romanised Japanese (known as romaji). I’ve made a table and a quick video to explain what I mean:




One of the problems that can arise if students rely on the use of romaji for too long, is that they come to feel that learning the Japanese scripts is too hard and not worth the effort. For this reason, even those who advocate delaying the introduction of the Japanese scripts do not advocate delaying for too long.

I have found that the use of ICTs allows me to provide students with audio hints. I presented the times as a visual cue (a picture of a clock face), then in kanji and then in hiragana. I did not provide romaji, but I am aware that some students may have trouble reading and pronouncing the Japanese scripts without any romaji. Instead, I provided a short video file so that they could listen to the pronunciation. Of course, students who felt they needed the cue would then be free to write down the corresponding romaji in their notes.

I think this is a huge benefit for anyone teaching Japanese as a foreign language, and a really transformational use of an ICT to transcend a common issue in the Japanese classroom.

Making the most of my glog
Just giving the students a link to the glog and asking them to look it over for homework would fail to make the best use of the potential of a glog. If I were using this glog in a classroom, I would set up stations around the room with different activities. I would begin the lesson with all the students together, recap how to tell time and then give the students an ipad each so that they could access the glog. Then I would divide them into groups and have them each go to a different activity.



After students have rotated through the activities, I would get them back together and end the lesson with a listening quiz – made by them. Each student uploaded a sentence with a time in it. I would play them for the class, and have them write down the time and try to guess who is speaking.

Future Directions

I’m still not quite sure how the student accounts attached to a teacher’s account on glogster function, but it is possible that students could upload all their work from the activities onto their own glog instead a of wiki. They could then start building their own “telling time” learning space. I’m keen to learn more about how teachers and students can use glogster in partnership.

But even just with the basic glog I made, some ipads and some activity tables, I can see a world of language learning potential.  Language learning, especially for beginners, can involve a lot of rote learning. Memorising words and patterns is important, but it quickly becomes tedious. ICTs could definitely help to keep students motivated to carry on with the rote learning, and also provide them with the support they need to begin slightly more advanced tasks such as basic role plays.

 References
Retrieved Arpil 5, 2015

Dewey, D.P. 2004. Connections Between Student and teacher Attitudes Regarding Script Choice in First-year Japanese Language Classrooms. Foreign Language Annals. 37 (4): 567-577.

Miura, A. 1987. Amerika ni okeru Nihongo kyooiku no shomondai {Problems in Japanese Language Teaching in the USA} Nihongo Kyooiku 63: 6-19.

Matsunaga, S. 1995. The role of phonological coding in reading kanji: A research report and some pedagogical implications. Technical Report #6. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Second Language Teaching and Curriculum Center.









No comments:

Post a Comment